As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
One of the best ways to protect your dog and prevent them from escaping is by keeping them on a leash. Dog leashes are a must-have for every dog owner as they help them stay in control of their pet. They are a great way to guide and control your dog’s behavior and movement without restraining them. Hence, your pooch will still be able to roam freely but within a certain perimeter. This is especially important in public areas where some other animals and kids may distract your dog from following your orders. And, if you want to ensure the greatest freedom for your dog, yet be able to manipulate with their allowed perimeter when needed (e.g. loud barking, running after someone), it’s best to buy a retractable dog leash.
These leashes, as their name suggests, can be adjusted in length. Namely, you can make the leash longer or shorter, depending on the situation. For instance, if your dog roams around and wants to sniff the grass or just walk, you can let the leash longer so as not to obstruct their movement. On the other hand, if your dog gets scared by a loud noise and tries to escape or wants to attack another dog, you need to shorten the leash to prevent escaping or dog fight.
But let’s look at retractable dog leashes more closely so that you can learn more about them. We’ll answer why are they used, how to choose the best one, which are the best models, and more. So, let’s keep reading!
5 Best Retractable Dog Leashes in 2020
Why Are Rectractable Dog Leashes Used?
Retractable dog leashes are used to control the dog’s movement and behavior. They can help prevent some unwanted or unexpected events, such as running away, attacking other dogs, attacking people, and similar.
This type of leashes became very popular in the past decade. It’s because they offer something the standard leashes don’t – length adjustment. You can adjust the length of the leash according to your needs and the dog’s behavior, as mentioned above. Hence, leashes with a retractable line offer freedom while keeping your dog safe and under control.
What Should You Consider When Looking for a Retractable Dog Leash?
There are many models of retractable dog leashes available on the market. But, not all of them are the same. They don’t have the same specifications, features, not price. That’s why you need to consider the following things before you choose one.
The Full Length of the Leash
Obviously, the most important thing in dog leashes, especially the retractable ones, is their full length. Every dog owner needs to know this because it tells them how much they can let the leash to be. After all, the reason for using retractable leashes is to be able to let your dog roam freely further than the standard leashes allow.
To be able to let your pooch enjoy its freedom and all the dog stuff they adore, you should look at models with long lines. On the other hand, to have more control over your dog, you should look at models with shorter lines. Which length you choose, depends on your personal preferences. As a suggestion, most owners choose models with a 16-feet long line as a middle ground – not too long nor too short.
How The Line Retracts and Extends
This is another essential thing to consider right after the length of the line. It tells you how you can extend and retract the cord of the dog leash. The leash can use a brake or a lock for controlling the cord’s length. Depending on their features, the process of retracting and extending the cord can be fast or slow, smooth, fraught, or in between. These are the things that determine the efficacy of the retractable dog leash and make it a good or a bad choice.
When it comes to the materials, you should check their quality and strength. It’s because they denote whether or not the leash is strong and durable or not. This is an important aspect for owners of stronger dog breeds, like boxers and pit bulls. They’ll need a stronger leash to control their dogs.
To choose a leash that is suitable for your dog, you need to look at its weight limitations and suitability for breeds. You should choose a model that supports your dog’s weight and suits their breed.
Apart from a strong line, you also want a model with a strong and reliable handle and casing. These two things ensure your leash lasts longer and is chew-resistant.
The Design of the Handle
The handle of the retractable dog leash plays great importance in handling your dog. It’s because it is the part that allows you to maneuver and control your dog (e.g. pull the dog if they want to attack another dog or run after a cat).
When looking a the handle, you should consider its design. It should be ergonomic so that it fits your hand and feels comfortable to hold. You should also consider the size of the handle and the grip to make sure it’s not too big nor too small for your hands. And, last, you should consider its weight as you don’t want a handle that is too light to break not too heavy to carry in your hand.
The Extra Features Offered by the Manufacturer
Another thing to consider when looking for a retractable leash for your dog is the extra features offered by the manufacturer. Some models come with features that the manufacturer has added to the package to make the product more attractive for potential customers. They usually improve the efficacy, security, and user experience of the leash.
One example of this is an e-book about dog training, walking, and other types of guides that help the owner. Then, there is a poo bag holder that can clip on the leash for easy access. These extra features are what makes one product stand out from the rest, thus increasing their chance of being bought.
And, the last is the price, which we can’t miss. The price of the retractable leash plays great importance in deciding which model you will buy. It usually reflects the quality of the product, which is why people take it as one of the first things to consider before buying a product (generally speaking).
You can find retractable dog leashes at different prices, depending on the brand, specifications, and features. While more expensive usually means higher quality, it’s best to go for something in the middle of it has the features you are looking for.
Review of the 5 Best Retractable Dog Leashes
If you usually walk your dog in the early morning or late evening, Flexi Neon Retractable Dog Leash may be the right choice for you. It has neon-colored components and stickers on the casing and a reflective cord that makes it easy to see at night, dark areas, and areas with poor visibility. It has a 16-feet long nylon cord, which allows your dog to roam freely further from you. What makes this model stand out from the rest is its high-quality construction, which makes it reliable.
- Reflective design.
- 16-feet long cord for greater freedom of your dog.
- Ergonomic, durable handle with non-slip grip.
- Single-button brak-and-lock with stop mechanism for convenient use, fast maneuvring, and maximum safety.
- Easy-to-use retraction mechanism.
- Flexi multi-box extra feature.
- For dogs up to 110 lbs depending on which size of tape you choose.
- Small handle, especially for those with larger hands or when wearing winter gloves.
- No poo bag dispenser.
- It’s really hard to tie a poo bag in a knot.
- The leash tape twists a bit.
- Reflective 16 ft Tape leash that helps increase safety for dogs and their owners - for dogs weighing up to 110 lbs
- Reflective stickers and neon-colored components for better visibility
- Convenient handling thanks to single-handed use of the brake button and permanent stop feature
- 16 ft neon-colored tape offers plenty of freedom of movement
- Lightweight, compact leash for dogs up to 110 lbs
If you’re looking for a premium quality retractable leash for your dog, this Pet Neat product may be just it. It features a break and lock buttons, a 16-feet long cord, and an ergonomic non-slip handle. It’s suitable for larger dogs weighing up to 110 lbs.
- Ergonomic design of the handle.
- Easy to maneuver.
- Break and lock button for greater security.
- Smooth motion.
- Heavy-duty internal spring for greater strength and durability.
- Poo bag holder.
- Four e-books.
- The retraction may feel a bit slow.
- A bit heavier than other dog leashes on the market.
- STRONG AND COMFORTABLE GRIP: The durable ABS casing has an ergonomic anti-slip handle to help you comfortably maintain a strong grip, even on big dogs that are pulling and running.
- TOUGH ENOUGH TO HANDLE DOGS OF ALL SIZES: The thick, long nylon dog leash and heavy duty internal spring can easily cope with energetic dogs up to 110 lbs.
- 100% SATISFACTION: All Pet Neat products are satisfaction for life. Click Add to Cart now!
- BREAK AND LOCK BUTTON SO YOU’RE ALWAYS IN CONTROL: You can push the button all the way down to lock the leash, or click the button back to easily reel your dog back in.
- FOUR DOG CARE EBOOKS INCLUDED: Treat yourself and your pet with four eBooks, including an essential manual on dog first aid and a comprehensive puppy training guide.
Here’s another amazing retractable dog leash with a 16-feet long cord. This model is very similar to the previous one as it features a break-and-lock button, can handle dogs at up to 110 lbs of weight, and a poo bag dispenser.
- 16-feet long, tangle-free line.
- Break and lock button.
- Bone-shaped bag receptacle.
- One-hand operation.
- Can handle large dogs at up to 110 lbs.
- Some users claim that it’s not of high quality.
- Some users report that the button is difficult to use when the dog moves.
- Walk your dog freely in open area with one hand braking, release and recoiling system, which allows the dog leash to be adjusted to a comfortable length with ease
- Retractable dog leash nylon tape extends up to 16 ft, strong and durable, made for daily use, with a strong spring for smoothly retracting dog leash
- Durable ABS plastic casing with ergonomic grip and anti-slip handle fits in your hand like a glove
- For any types of dog with up to 110lbs in weight, this retractable leash works for powerful large dogs, as well as medium sized and smaller dogs, giving them maximum freedom while under your control
- Comes with a free roll of plastic bags tucked in a bone-shaped cone for you to quickly clean up the mess your pooch leaves on those untimely occasions
Although not the number one on our list, the Hertzko Heavy Dury Retractable Dog Leash stands out from the rest for its incredible features and appealing, practical frame. It has a black-and-purple color and a 16-feet long light-colored, reflective nylon line. Its flat shape ensures it doesn’t get caught or twisted, thus making it much safer for you and your dog.
- Tangle-free design that can swing 360-degree without getting caught or twisted.
- Ergonomic handle with non-slip grip.
- Control button easy to access for quick lock and release of the leash.
- Well-attached buckle that doesn’t come off.
- Strong and durable.
- Instant, easy, and smooth retraction on a thumb press.
- The recoil spring isn’t very strong.
- FINALLY, WALKING YOUR DOG WILL BE A FUN EXPERIENCE! - Our Retractable Dog Leash has a Secure Locking Mechanism that allows to adapt the leash to whatever length you wish while the 16 Ft Durable Nylon Ribbon gives plenty of space for you and your dog to enjoy a safe walk.
- EASY TO BREAK AND LOCK BUTTON – Simply hold the Pet Leash by the handle and the SMOOTH and DURABLE Retracting Mechanism will keep the leash tight. To stop the leash, press the brake button with your thumb. It will remain locked as long as the button is pressed. Our Reliable Lock System gives you full control enabling instant retraction of your dog when needed.
- EXTRA LONG AND SAFE RIBBON – Strong and Durable Nylon Ribbon extends 16 Feet, allowing your dog to roam freely while maintaining control.
- COMFORTABLE, STRONG, AND DURABLE- Our STRONG Dog Leash can carry your dog up to 110LBS! and is especially designed with a COMFORT-GRIP and ANTI-SLIP HANDLE, for secure gripping.
- YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THE HERTZKO RETRACTABLE LEASH - If our Retractable Leash is not everything that we say it is, and you're not completely satisfied with it within 30 days of purchase; we will refund every penny of your money, straight away.
If you’re looking for a convenient dog leash with classic design, you should take a look at URPOWER 16.4 FeetNylon Retractable Dog Leash. It has all the features you’d expect to see in this product and some great ones. Namely, there is a one-button brake-and-lock system with pause function, 16.4-feet long nylon tape, and an M-shaped rope mouth. There’s also a promise to be durable. This model is suitable for small to medium dogs.
- User-friendly design.
- Ergonomic non-slip handle and button.
- Tangle-free rope mouth for retraction at any angle.
- Strong ABS casing.
- Heavy-duty built.
- Large-sized for ensuring it fits all sizes of hands, even when wearing winter gloves.
- No extra features.
- Some users complain that it’s difficult to retract if the cord is damaged. But, it’s normal is this situation and happens in all retractable dog leashes.
- UPGRADED VERSION FOR TWO SIZE: The medium size is good for any types of dog with up to 55lbs in weight, while large size is perfect for dogs up to 110lbs. Please take your dog’s weight as reference when you choose the size, and use the leash on your pets within the limited weight.
- ONE BUTTON BRAKE & LOCK SAFETY SYSTEM: The upgraded button with pause function allows you adjust the distance between you and your pets at anytime. You do not have to lock the leash every time you release or retract it, which is more easier for you to control your pets.
- 16ft RETRACTABLE LEASH WITH 360° Tangle-Free ROPE MOUTH: The strong and durable nylon tape can be extended up to 16ft, providing your pet a enough area to enjoy freedom. With a strong upgraded spring and anti-tangle rope mouth, the dog leash can be retracted and released smoothly at any angle.
- SOLID ABS CASE & COMFORTABLE HANDLE: Solid ABS plastic casing is friendly to environment, non-toxic and odorless, sturdy enough for your best friend’s sudden pulling. Ergonomic TPE Anti-slip Handle is comfortable to grip, providing an enjoyable walking experience for your pets and you.
- Caution: Do not let your dog run to the end of the line, as excessive pull force could pull the user and cause injury. Do not allow the leash to wrap around any body part.
Ranking of the 10 Best-Selling Retractable Dog Leashes
Apart from these 5 retractable dog leashes, there many other models. Although not as good at these five, you can still consider them when looking for this product. To make sure you have big enough choice without looking at low-quality unreliable models, here’s a list of the 10 best-selling models on the market.
When Shouldn’t You Buy a Retractable Dog Leash?
This type of dog leashes has many benefits as it allows your dog to roam freely while keeping control over them. However, it’s not suitable for all dogs and in all situations. Namely, you shouldn’t buy a retractable leash for your dog if they:
- are strong and stubborn as the leash may not be strong enough to hold it.
- exceed the weight limit.
- love to run and bolt.
- are heavy chewers as chewing the lines reduces their effectiveness and may even break them.
There’s no doubt that dog leashes with retractable lines are very practical, effective, and convenient. They allow your dog to explore the nearby surroundings while maintaining control over them, just in case.
There are many models available on the market, but they don’t have the same features nor are equally good and effective. That’s why you need to choose a model that suits your dog, has some great features and specifications, and it’s convenient.
If you don’t know which model to choose, you won’t be wrong is you go for a model presented in this article, including the best-sellers. Before looking for a leash, make sure you know what kind of design you want them to be, i.e. their color, reflective elements or not, extra features or not, single-button operation or not, and few other details. Once you’ve determined that, you just need to go through their features and choose the one that best suits your pooch, their character and needs, as well as your needs and preferences.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Last update on 2021-01-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API