As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
To many people, pets are like children. Their owners treat them as little kids – they feed them, dress, them, take them to the vet, play with them, etc. That’s why leaving them at home alone is devastating for the owner. Fortunately, there are pet cameras that allow owners to watch and interact with their pets in real-time. To make sure you choose the best pet camera for your pooch, here we list the top 10 models on the market.
10 Best Pet Cameras in 2020Table could not be displayed.
What Should You Consider Before Buying a Pet Camera?
The Type of the Camera
There are two types of pet cameras: indoor security cameras and treat dispenser cameras. While both types do the job, they differ in their features and functions.
- Indoor security pet cameras – This type of camera is like conventional security cameras. They allow the owner to keep an eye on their pet no matter where they are in real-time. Moreover, owners receive notifications on their phones for every reaction of the pet.
- Treat dispenser pet cameras – This type of camera is more than a surveillance camera. It not only allows you to watch and communicate with your pet but it also releases treats on your command. The camera is hidden within a treat dispenser, so your dog has something to be happy about when you’re not at home.
The quality of the image is undoubtedly one of the most important things when choosing a pet camera. It’s because they require a strong image all the time to allow you a clear real-time video. Good image quality is when the image is clear, both, for the stills and the videos, has the right color and tone, and is fluid. It’d be perfect if the camera you choose comes with a night vision mode. This will allow you to monitor your furry friend 24/7.
Another aspect to consider is the range of the camera. Both types of pet cameras need a field of vision and to be able to capture the surroundings. The security cameras need to be able to zoom and pan and have a strong motion detector. The treat dispensers, on the other hand, need a field of vision that is wide enough for the app and a strong sensor on the dispenser.
For your camera to work and perform consistently, it needs to have a strong wireless connection. Many models are plug and play, which allows the owners to place them anywhere in their home. A strong connection is also important for the connected devices (phones and tablets) so they can receive real-time data (image/video)
Apart from video, most owners also want to communicate with their pets so they don’t feel abandoned. For this, you need a model that supports an audio connection that will allow you to speak and listen to your pet. And, there are also models with sensors and safety features.
Reviews of the 10 Best Pet Cameras
The Furbo dog camera is one of the most popular and most demanded pet cameras on the market. It’s a great device that is interesting to use. Apart from being a surveillance camera, it’s a treat tossing device. It works with the free Furbo iOS/Android app and allows for 2-way audio and chat. Plus, it sends you notifications on your phone when your dog barks.
Easy to set up.
SImple W-Fi connection.
Great image quality with a night-vision mode.
Possible connectivity issues, like glitches in the sound.
Pawbo Life Pet Camera is another of the best cameras on the market. It does everything you, as the owner, would want it to do. Namely, it streams video, allows for 2-way audio communication, dispenses treats, plays laser tag with the pet, and controls the other Pawbo accessories. It even allows you to zoom the image 4 times, take pictures, record videos, and play a ringtone to get the attention of your pet.
- Easy to set up.
- Great image and video quality.
- Additionals video features.
- Treat dispenser.
- Automatic or manual laser game.
- Up to 8 users.
- No night-vision mode.
- Inconsistent audio.
- Poor design.
Many people consider the treat cam from Petzi as the best option based on its overall design and features. What makes it so good is that it’s very user-friendly with a focus on its interactive ability and app use. Nonetheless, it allows for real-time streaming, taking pictures, and dispensing treats.
- Real-life high-quality video streaming.
- Option to take snapshots and share them online.
- Wall-mounted design for a better view of your pet.
- 1-way audio.
- No recording option.
- Not suitable for monitoring misbehaving pets.
- Some users report that it shoots the treats too far.
- Some users are confused over the use of the audio and microphone modes.
The PetChatz camera is another great product that allows pet owners to monitor their pets. It uses 2-way audio for communication, a treat dispenser, and an app. What makes this product stand out from the rest is that it has additional dispensing actions. It also has a calming scent, which allows the owners to relax their pets even more so they don’t get anxious.
- Versatile device.
- High-quality stream with a clear image.
- Simple and easy-to-use app.
- Similar to Face Time but for humans-pets communication which some users find it too much.
- No mention of a night-vision mode or other monitoring features.
- Not much on the added treat-dispensing features.
Although the first generation of this type of product, this Petcube camera is no less valuable or lacking features. In fact, it comes with some impressive features, such as HD 720p live video with a wide-angle lens, 2-way audio, wireless connection, a built-in laser toy, and a treat dispenser. It allows users to take pictures and record videos and share them. Also, it allows them to adjust the access on the device for their family and friends.
- High-quality real-time video streaming with a wide-angle lens.
- 2-way audio.
- Built-in laser toy.
- Treat dispenser
- Requires a strong internet connection.
- Possible speaker issues with static.
- Some users report that the laser in only good in certain light qualities.
If you are interested only in monitoring your pet and aren’t looking for anything fancy, Nest Cam indoor security camera may be the right option for you. Coming from one of the most popular and respected smart home security systems, you can’t expect anything but brilliance, great features, and a reliable product. This model ensures you see all areas you want to monitor. Also, it features some additional tools as well as a high-end camera system.
- 24/7 clear video streaming from a 130-degree wide-angle lens.
- Night-vision mode with high quality.
- 2-way audio connection.
- Notifications via the user’s app, phone, and email.
- Not made specifically for pets.
- High-risk of bugs with the updates.
Although not as popular as Nest Cam, Vimtag VT-361 is nothing less than its predecessor. It comes with most of the features of the Nest Cam surveillance camera and allows for a full video monitoring. Moreover, it has a strong audio connection and visual features.
What makes this model stand out from its competitors is its wide range of features. Apart from the already mentioned ones, this model also features 1 million pixel HD stream and night vision monitoring of up to 10 meters. It also has a 320×120 degree coverage and motion detector. Plus, it sends notifications to the owners.
- 1 million pixel HD video streaming.
- Night vision mode.
- Good audio connection.
- Sends alerts to the users.
- Not really a high-tech model.
- Not specifically designed for pets.
- No pet-focused features, such as a treat dispenser or laser toy.
- Some users report that the instructions aren’t very good.
If you are looking for a good quality full-feature security device rather than a pet camera, you should consider this all-in-one home security device. It features a strong 1080hp video stream, 147-degree wide-angle lens, night-vision mode, sensors, and a motion-activated recording. It also has temperature, humidity, and air-quality tech features that ensure a healthy home.
- High-quality video streaming.
- 147-degree wide-angle lens.
- Night-vision mode for 24/7 monitoring.
- Motion-activated recording.
- “HomeHealth” features.
- “Auto-arm/disarm” mode of the alerts and sensors.
- Access to local authorities.
- The sensors aren’t very strong, which may lead to security risks.
- Not 100% real-time video streaming.
- Possibility of connection failure if it’s not strong enough.
- False alarms.
If you are looking for a simple and affordable pet camera, Zmodo EZCam may be the right choice for you. It’s simple, without all those unnecessary features, allows for 24/7 live video monitoring, and has motion detection alerts. Therefore, you can enjoy 720-pixel real-time streaming and motion alerts-triggered video clips. You can find these clips in the Zmodo Cloud where they are stored for 36 hours for free. If you want, you can purchase an additional subscription for continuous recording.
- 720-pixel live video streaming.
- Motion detection alerts that trigger recording clips.
- Infrared night vision at up to 26 feet.
- 2-way audio.
- Very difficult to set up the system.
- Wi-Fi connection issues.
- The settings don’t save sometimes.
- Lack of responsiveness of the alert system.
If you are looking for a 360-degree view, the YI Dome camera may be the perfect choice for you. Apart from the wide-angle lens, it allows for a full view over the room. It features 1080-pixel video streaming, night streaming, footage recording, 10-second clips of a specific event (e.g. dog barking), and 2-way audio. Also, it can send you activity alerts on your phone.
- 360-degree view.
- 1080-pixel video monitoring.
- Night video streaming.
- Footage recording.
- 2-way audio connection.
- Activity alerts.
- Some users report that their camera has been hacked a couple of times.
- Slow motion-tracking.
- Inaccurate for objects that move close to the camera.
- Bad terms of service.
Best-Selling Pet Cameras
Now that we’ve taken a good look at the 10 best pet cameras on the market, it’s time to look at the best-selling models. We hope this will give you a bigger choice of models and will help you make the right decision. So, let’s check them out!
How to Choose the Best Pet Camera?
There’s a wide variety of pet cameras available on the market. Some of them are more like surveillance cameras while others are a combination of a camera and a treat dispenser. Which model you choose depends on your needs and preferences. However, you should always look at their features, as mentioned at the beginning of this article.
Apart from the features, you should also look at:
- The ease of use – How easy is the camera to use? Do you need some tech skills or it’s simple to set it up and use? If you are a tech-savvy, you will find many mighty technical pet cameras. However, if you’re not into technology and look for a simple-to-use camera, you should go for a plug-and-play model.
- The price – It’s said that the price reflects the quality of the product and, when it comes to tech products like these, we have to agree with that. Namely, the more expensive the product is, the more features it has and the better performant it is. However, you can find more affordable models that have the features you need (although not advanced ones) and are reliable. You just need to decide how much money you can or want to spend on a pet camera.
As you can see, choosing the best pet camera for your beloved furry friend isn’t that simple. There are too many models on the market, each with different features, which makes choosing one tricky. In order to save time on searching, you can buy one from the models presented in this article.
Regardless of which model you choose, keep in mind that you always have to consider their features, reliability, price, and users’ reviews. It’s the best way to make sure you choose the right model for you and your pet.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Last update on 2020-10-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API