As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dogs are indeed humans’ best friends. They are loyal, protective, and loving. But, taking care of one takes much more than just feeding and bathing. Owners need to make sure their dog is healthy and safe, too. One way to ensure the safety of your pooch is by training it. You don’t need a pro to do this, just a good dog training collar.
Training collars look like regular dog collars but use various types of correction to let your dog know when they do something wrong. You can use one of the many models available online to train your dog’s behavior. In that way, you’ll teach your dog how to behave properly in different situations and prevent unexpected events, such as needless barking, jumping, or running on the street.
In order to train your furry best friend successfully, you need a quality and reliable training collar. Since not all models are equally good, here we present you with the 5 best collars available on the market along with review per each of them. Let’s check them out!
5 Best Dog Training Collars in 2020
What Should You Consider When Choosing a Training Collar for Your Dog?
Dog training collars have different features, which make them differentiate one from another. These characteristics also make some models better than others on the market. To make sure you choose the best one for your dog, you need to consider several things.
The Ease of Use
No matter what design or features you prefer, you should always go for a model that is easy to use. You don’t want to have a hard time understanding how the collar works and how to use it. Hence, choosing an easy-to-use model will ensure you have a product you use properly and responds the way you want.
Some of the things that make a collar easy to use or not are the way it attaches and removes. There is also the option of being adjustable. Moreover, there is the sensitivity of the collar and how easy is to adjust its levels. And, while many models on the market have these characteristics, the cheaper ones may lack some of them or not be as easy to adust as the more expensive ones.
Type of Training Collar
There are two main types of dog training collars – electronic (static) and mist-spraying citronella collars. The electronic collars emit a quick shock to correct dogs’ behavior whereas the spraying ones release a citronella spray. Which one you choose depends on your preferences as some owners consider the electronic collar inhumane whereas others consider the spray unpleasant for the dog. Of course, the choice you make also depends on your dog – whether or not a shock or a smell will be more effective in correcting their behavior.
The range of the training collar is one of the essential features you need to consider when choosing a model. It’s the feature that determines where and whether you can use the model in your home. Namely, if you live in a big house with a large yard, you can’t use a short-range collar because it won’t work. In other words, it will lose its function when your dog goes further and the collar goes out of range. Therefore, you should always consider the range of the model based on the size of your home.
Another very important feature to consider when looking for the best training collar for your dog is the battery of the product. By this, we refer to the battery life, whether it’s rechargeable or not, and the option to add extra batteries. Having these things in mind will ensure more convenient use of the product and better experience using it.
The price of the product is undoubtedly something we all keep in mind when looking for a training collar. Although some believe that the price doesn’t always reflect the quality of the product, in this case, it does. Namely, the more expensive models are much easier to use, more adjustable, and more effective. On the other hand, the cheaper ones aren’t of good quality, don’t last long, and aren’t really effective. However, you should also remember that these collars aren’t a long-term investment but a product used for a short time. Hence, there’s no need to buy the most expensive models, rather one that balances the quality and features with its price.
Review of the Top 5 Dog Training Collars
When looking for a collar of high quality and a wide variety of features, this is the model to look at. SportDOG Brand Field Trainer 425 is feature-rich and highly functional with great quality. Although carrying the name field trainer, this model is a perfect choice for training dogs due to its use of static shocks.
- Good sensitivity levels.
- 500-yard range.
- 7 levels of static correction.
- Tone-only mode.
- Rechargeable batteries with a 70-hour life.
- Can support multiple dogs.
- May not be the easiest-to-use model.
- Possibility of over-shocking.
- Low shock settings don’t do anything.
- E-collar that features 500 yard range and can be used to train 3 dogs with the same Remote Transmitter with purchase of additional Add-A-Dog Collars (SDR-AF); Collar Receiver fits dogs 8 pounds or larger with neck sizes 5" - 22"
- The Remote Transmitter's dial allows you to instantly select one of the 7 levels of static stimulation in low or medium ranges while the buttons allow you to deliver your choice of momentary (nick) or continuous stimulation. You also have the option to train with vibration (buzz) and tone (beep)
- Both the Remote Transmitter and Collar Receiver feature our DryTek technology making them waterproof and submersible to 25 feet
- Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries charge in 2 hours and last 50-70 hours per charge; The Remote Transmitter and Collar Receiver both feature a low battery indicator and can be charged at the same time using the included split-end charger
- Remote Transmitter button functions can be customized; Detailed operating guide, training DVD, and a locally based Customer Care Center, available 6 days a week, provide support when you need it
If you’re looking for a model with plenty of helpful features, you need to check out the Educator ET-300 dog training collar. It has a great ergonomic design and it’s functional.
- Ergonomic design.
- Easy to use.
- Great use of vibration for correction dog’s behavior.
- Strong and durable.
- Short battery life.
- High price.
- One dog system with 1/2 mile range
- Small receiver (2"x1.5"x1", 2.4 oz) for dogs 5 pounds and larger
- Mini ergonomic "stopwatch" transmitter (2.64" diameter x 1.29" thick) is well-suited for small hands or in situations where discreetness is important
- Delivers a tapping sensation similar to vibration, but more intense, making it an effective addition to the stimulation
- User-selectable stimulation levels from 1 to 100 with additional boost stimulus selectable from 1 to 60
When reliability is what you look for in a product like this, you can’t go wrong with the PetSafe Yard & Park rechargeable dog training collar. It comes from a renowned and reputable company for dog products, so you can rest assured that you have chosen a reliable product of good quality. Also, it comes with a lot of features, including rechargeable batteries, 8 levels of static corrections, two tones, and an adjustable collar.
- 400-yard range.
- 8 adjustable levels of static correction.
- 2 tone levels.
- Rechargeable batteries.
- Can support up to 3 dogs at once.
- Loved by dogs.
- Non-user-friendly design with badly labeled buttons.
- Takes too long to charge.
- Short battery longevity.
- 400 YARD RANGE - flexible enough to work for indoor training or for outdoor hiking with your dog
- 8 ADJUSTABLE LEVELS - static stimulation and 2 tones level to teach commands and correct behavior
- WATERPROOF COLLAR - for all of your dog's outdoor activities
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES - collar and remote use replaceable rechargeable batteries
- TRAIN UP TO THREE DOGS AT THE SAME TIME - with additional collars sold separately PAC00-12159
If what you want is an affordable yet effective model, you should consider this remote-controlled dog training collar from PetTech. It’s advertised as the best training collar for dogs although it has a rather old-fashioned design and low price.
- Remote with a large LCD screen.
- 100 adjustable shock levels.
- 4 modes.
- Long battery life.
- The collar doesn’t fit all sizes of dogs, it’s made of cheap plastic and it’s not adjustable.
- THE ULTIMATE DOG TRAINING COLLAR - Immensely Popular, 100% Weatherproof E-Collar used by Expert Trainers & First Time Pet Owners
- HUGE LCD REMOTE WITH ADJUSTABLE SHOCK & 4 MODES - 1-100 Levels of Customization. You can also use a Tone (Beep) Mode which will give an Audible Warning. LCD has a Backlit Design for Both Day & Night
- LONG-LASTING BATTERY LIFE - Rapid Charging Lithium Ion Battery Provides a long lasting Battery Life. Auto Power Protect Mode Helps Conserve Battery Life When Not In Use
- LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE - If You Ever Have any Issue with Your Training Collar, we will Provide a full Replacement or Refund! Please visit the manufacturer's website for details
- COMPLIMENTARY EXPERT DOG TRAINING - If You Need dog training help Our Expert dog trainer offers one-on-one email advice to all customers
If you happen to have any type of GPS, you have most probably heard of the Garmin brand. It’s a reputable company that makes products of high quality. Hence, it’s not unexpected to say that this product comes with high expectations and great communication between the collar and the transmitter.
- Strong and durable.
- 18 levels of stimulation.
- 1/2-mile range.
- 3 training configurations.
- Can handle up to 3 dogs on the handheld with the purchase of additional devices.
- Very expensive.
- The manual setting makes it a bit difficult to get used to and use.
- Possibility of over-shocking due to the manual setting.
- LONG/SHORT CONTACTS : Includes long and short changeable/replaceable contact points ; Collar compatibility: 1.9 centimeter (0.75 inch)
- STIMULATION LEVELS : Improved stimulation levels; features 18 levels of momentary and continuous stimulation, plus tone and vibration
- RANGE : Gives 1/2 mile range capability to correct your dog’s behavior while out in the field
- TRAINING CONFIGS : 3 correction/training configurations for different behavioral issues; Train 1, 2 or 3 dogs, settable on the handheld (with purchase of additional dog devices)
- DURABILITY : Rugged, compact 3 button handheld controller and dog device with water rating of IPX71.Water rating: yes (IPX7)
Ranking of the Best-Selling Dog Training Collars
Now that we’ve looked at the 5 best training collars for dogs, it’s time to take a look as the best-selling models. We hope that this will give you greater choice and will help you find the right collar for your pooch. So, let’s check them out!
Benefits of Using Dog Training Collars
The training collars for dogs look like regular collars. They emit a static correction or release a specific spray to correct the dog’s behavior. Both, the static correction and the spray are triggered either by sensors that detect the issue or by the owner using a transmitter.
Using these collars, owners teach their dogs how they shouldn’t behave and when they need to stop their bad behavior (e.g. needless barking). They are usually easy to use, long-lasting, feature-rich, and effective. By emitting/releasing a correction, these collars show dogs when they do something wrong. In this way, your dog will learn how to behave well.
Training collars for dogs are a great way to teach your dog on proper behavior. They are user-friendly, come with some awesome features, and are suitable for use at home (usually used in the yard). But, finding the best training collar for your pooch is easier said than done as there are many models available on the market. Each model comes with different features, functions, and quality. That’s why you need to take a good look at their specifications and take into consideration their ease of use and the other things we’ve mentioned in this article. Once you know what to look for and what you are interested in, you will be able to choose a model for your beloved dog.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Last update on 2021-01-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API