As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pit bulls are one of the most energetic dog breeds. They are often seen as aggressive, unpredictable, and fearless. But, many don’t know that the pit bulls are actually incredibly lively, intelligent, and easily bored, which is the reason for their misbehavior. When their playful needs are satisfied and they are engaged mentally and physically they are nice to be around, lovely, and loyal. Due to their behavior, size, and physical traits, they need to be fed with special dog food for pit bulls.
What is the best food for this breed and how can you find it?
If you aren’t sure which dog food is best for pit bulls or don’t know where to find it, keep reading this article. Here, we show you the top 5 dog food for adults and puppies and how to choose the right one for your pooch.
5 Best Dog Food for Pit Bulls in 2020
What Should You Consider When Looking for Food for Your Pit Bull?
There’s a wide variety of food for pit bulls on the market. Therefore, in order to ensure you choose the right food for your dog, you should look at the following things:
- Taste – The taste of the food is one of the first things to consider as dogs don’t like every flavor.
- Nutrients – Although the taste is undoubtedly one of the most important things to keep in mind when choosing food for your pooch, the nutrient content is also essential. You need to be sure that the food you give you pit bull contains the nutrients they need for proper growth and development. Therefore, you need to check the recommended daily intake and the number of calories your dog can consume daily before you make the final decision. In this way, your dog will improve/maintain good immunity, build bones and muscles, be healthy, and be in great shape.
- Portion size – Over-eating did no good to anyone ever, including dogs. That’s why you should buy food that comes in the right portion size suitable for the size of your pitbull. Choosing food with portion size suitable for your dog (in terms of age and size), you’ll ensure they receive enough nutrients and fill their belly without overeating.
- Price – We all know that the price is important when buying a product, no matter which product is. It doesn’t only determine which product we buy but also the quality of the product. Hence, more expensive food is usually of higher quality and made of natural ingredients without any artificial additives. On the other hand, cheaper food is of lower quality and contains additives, fillers, and artificial flavors among others.
Things to Avoid When Looking for Food for Your Pit Bull?
If you want to buy quality and healthy food for your pitbull, you should avoid food that contains:
- Carbs – It’s the nutrient we should all avoid, including dogs. This is because pit bulls tend to eat, which often leads to obesity. Hence, too many carbs make the situation even worse. Namely, they can develop heart issues and other serious health conditions.
- Allergens – Pit bulls also tend to develop skin allergies. That’s why you should buy food that is free from allergens, e.g. gluten. Instead, go for food that contains only natural ingredients without any artificial additives.
How to Choose the Best Food for Puppies and Adult Pit Bulls?
If you are a first-time pit bull owner, you may not know that there’s different food for puppies and adult pit bulls. To help you choose the best food for your pooch, here are some recommendations on food according to their age.
Pit Bull Puppies
They need food with ingredients in the recommended daily dose that will support their proper growth and development. The food also needs to be in smaller pieces. Therefore, you should choose food that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and protein and easy to chew and digest. It must be also rich in calcium so that it can promote bone growth and prevent arthritis and dysplasia.
Adult Pit Bulls
Adult pot bulls need adult food that will support their wellbeing. This food is different from that of the puppies because grown-up pit bulls are already fully grown and don’t need any special ingredients for further development. On the contrary, they need foo that will maintain their health and weight. Nonetheless, they need high-quality food with all the essential nutrients and ingredients in the right daily dosage.
Review of the 5 Best Dog Food for Pit Bulls
Coming from a well-known dog food manufacturer, this product is one of the best food for adult pit bulls. It contains unusual ingredients, such as bison and venison-derivating protein and lots of fruit and vegetables. It’s the perfect choice for all meat-lovers who like smoked meats. This product also contains sweet potato, which has a lower glycemic index over other carbs. And, of course, it’s affordable.
- Taste of the Wild High Prairie with ROASTED BISON & VENISON REAL MEAT is #1 ingredient optimal amino acid profile & protein rich for LEAN STRONG MUSCLES
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
- Ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; made without grain, corn, wheat, filler; NO ARTIFICIAL flavors, colors, or preservatives added
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with species-specific PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract
- MADE in the USA FAMILY OWNED & run food made with the most scientifically advanced food safety protocols We'd appreciate your CALL 800 342 4808
Here’s another product that comes from a well-known dog food manufacturer. It’s referred to as a complete option for adult pit bulls as it offers a formula that provides overall wellbeing made of premium natural ingredients. Some of the numerous ingredients include vitamins, minerals, natural extracts, and real vegetable and chicken sources. What’s important to mention is that it’s gluten-free, soy-free, and doesn’t contain artificial ingredients and additives. According to user reviews, this product is very tasty and has a great effect on dogs, especially the underfed ones as there are visible improvements in their health and look.
- ENJOY A LIFETIME OF WELLBEING: High quality proteins and wholesome grains are expertly balanced to deliver a complete diet packed with the nutrients your senior dog needs to thrive; no meat byproducts, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- OPTIMAL ENERGY AND HEALTHY IMMUNE SYSTEMS: Antioxidant rich ingredients support strong immune systems, balanced nutrients promote optimal energy, Omega Fatty Acids ensure healthy skin and coat and beta carotene protects against cataracts and heart disease
- WHOLE BODY HEALTH: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart
- FIND THE RIGHT FOOD: Wellness offers a full range of foods to support your dog's specific needs, including grained and grain free options, high protein recipes and limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility; we craft delicious natural recipes with wholesome, non GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits
Taste of the Wild also offers dog food for pit bull puppies. This product is made especially for the young ones and it contains a mix of fish as a source of protein and fats. It comes in small pieces for pups’ small mouths and has a great effect on their health and growth. However, some users are concerned that it’s too rich in nutrients for young pit bulls and offers a different taste from the one they usually try (meat). That’s why they may need some time to get used to it.
- Discontinued size by manufacturer
- A taste of the wild with ROASTED BISON & VENISON; REAL MEAT is #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile & protein rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- HIGH quality PROTEIN recipe with smaller kibble; tailored for growing puppy; SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; DHA for BRAIN & VISION
- Ingredients From Trusted, Sustainable Sources Around The World; Made With No Grain, Corn, Wheat, Filler; No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Preservatives Added
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTABLE with guaranteed soecies-specific, PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS
The second product from Wellness is specially designed for small breeds, which makes it perfect for pit bull pups. It comes cut into small pieces for easy consumption and digestion and has a lot of ingredients. The two main are oatmeal and turkey, which have great nutritional value. Although some owners don’t like its high price, it’s a product with paying for.
- Enjoy a lifetime of wellbeing: High quality proteins and wholesome grains are expertly balanced to deliver a complete diet packed with the nutrients your dog needs to thrive; No meat byproducts, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- Optimal energy and healthy immune systems: Antioxidant rich ingredients support strong immune systems, balanced nutrients promote optimal energy and guaranteed levels of Omega Fatty Acids ensure healthy skin and coat
- Whole body health: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart
- Find the right food: Wellness offers a full range of foods to support your dog's specific needs, including grained and grain free options, high protein recipes and limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility; We craft delicious natural recipes with wholesome, non GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits
The last dog food option on our list is Orijen Adult. This product is recommended for building muscles and gaining weight. It’s suitable for, both, pit bull puppies and adults and contains 90% protein, instead of the usual 50% found in this type of food. Orijen Adults is made of chicken and turkey, eggs, and wild-caught fish. As the company claims, all their ingredients are fresh and of high quality. As users claim, it’s really effective in improving and maintaining the health and the coat of their dogs. Plus, dogs like it.
- ORIJEN Original dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients from free-run chicken and turkey, wild-caught fish, and cage-free eggs
- With 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Using fresh and raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the Biologically Appropriate, grain-free diet that dogs have evolved to eat
- Our Fresh Regional Ingredients are supplied by people we know and trust, and are delivered to our kitchen fresh or raw, in their most natural and nourishing form
What About Supplements for Muscle Growth?
Most owners tend to support the muscle growth of their pit bulls by giving them high-quality protein-rich meaty dog food. However, some of them add supplements for muscle growth to their dog’s diet. In this way, they ensure their dog reaches the optimal muscle mass they need for their everyday activities.
But, supplements aren’t suitable for every dog. It’s because some of them focus on the dog’s look rather than its health, which raises some concerns regarding its continuous use. If given too much, it may cause some health and mobility issues. Yet, if given according to the vet’s orders, there shouldn’t be any problems.
Which Supplement for Muscle Growth to Give Your Pit Bull?
If you decide to give your pit bull supplements for supporting their muscle growth, you should consider Billy Max Dog Muscle Supplement. It’s safe and has a great effect on pit bulls. Namely, it helps them recover more easily, builds and maintains their muscles in good condition, and may help improve their immune system. Moreover, it may be used as a chemo and a post-surgery supplement.
What makes this product so good is that it doesn’t contain trans-fat, corn syrup, nor sucrose. Also, it’s tasty. However, there are some concerns over the calcium levels in the supplement, so make sure it’s safe before buying it for your pooch.
Ranking of the Best-Selling Dog Food for Pit Bulls
If these 5 products seem not enough, here we show you the best-selling products in this category. We hope they help you find the right dog food for your pooch.
Why Is the Best Dog Food Grain-Free?
Have you noticed that the best dog food is grain-free? Why is that so?
It’s because grains are one of the most common allergens for dogs. As mentioned previously in this article, they are one of the ingredients you should avoid when choosing food for your pot bull because they cause skin allergies. They can also cause bloating and gasses which make dogs uncomfortable. Being grain-free, this food ensures your dog receives all the nutrients they need to stay healthy without any side effects and allergic reactions.
There’s a wide variety of dog food for pit bulls available on the market. But, not all of them are equally good for your pooch. That’s why you need to know which things it should contain and which not. In that way, you’ll be able to choose a product that will satisfy their daily nutrient needs without causing any side effects.
The right food will also improve your dog’s health, support their bone and muscle growth, and will maintain their muscles in optimal condition. Moreover, it will improve their immune system and will prevent certain health conditions, such as obesity, dysplasia, and arthritis. In order to ensure you buy the best product for your beloved pet, you have to look at its quality, nutritional value, ingredients, protein sources, additives, and any other potentially dangerous items. And, if you find a food that is healthy, tasty, and your dog loves it, you will win.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Last update on 2021-01-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API